- These resources are only a sample of what may be available.
- Search our Catalog and Databases for more!
- Try EBSCO Discovery Service for One-Stop Searching! Searches our catalog and most of our databases.
- To get started, try Research & Study Help. Find help for researching & writing your papers, and documenting & citing your sources!
- Visit How to Access Library Resources and How to Use Library Resources for more help.
Political Science Resources
Where to Look? Browse these call numbers
- JA 1 to JA 92 – Political science (General reference, political theory, history, etc.).
- JC 11 to JC 605 – Political theory. Theories of state.
- JC 131 to JC 273 – Modern state (16th century to date).
- JC 421 to JC 423 – Democracy.
- JC 489 to JC 497 – Political change, revolutions, dictatorships, etc.
- JC 571 to JC 605 – Human rights, civil rights, freedoms, etc.
- JF 20 to JF 2112 – Political institutions and public administration. Comparative governments.
- JF 201 to JF 619 – Organs and functions of government, including heads of state, parliamentary government, legislation, etc.
- JF 2011 to JF 2112 – Political parties.
- JK 1 to JK 9593 – Political institutions and public administration, United States.
- JK 54 to JK 103 – Colonial period.
- JK 116 to JK 246 – 1776 to 1898.
- JK 271 to JK 274 – 20th century.
- JK 501 to JK 868 – Executive branch.
- JK 1012 to JK 1432 – Congress. Legislative branch.
- JK 1507 to JK 1603 – Judiciary (see also KF 8700 to KF 8709).
- JK 1717 to JK 2217 – Political rights. Citizenship. Suffrage. Electoral system.
- JK 2255 to JK 2391 – Political parties.
- JK 2403 to JK 9593 – State government.
- JK 4701 to JK 4793 – Louisiana.
- K – Law in general; comparative and uniform law; jurisprudence.
- KF – Law of the United States.
- KF 1600 to KF 2940 – Regulation of industry, trade, and commerce.
- KF 3300 to KF 3995 – Social legislation. Public health. Medical legislation. Public safety. Control of social activities.
- KF 4501 to KF 5130 – Constitutional law.
- KF 8700 to KF 9075 – Courts. Organization and procedure.
- KFL 1 to KFL 599 – Louisiana.
- KFL 45 – Louisiana State Supreme Court.
Selected Books in the Library
- America’s Constitution: A Biography
Call number: KF 4541 .A87 2005
- Encyclopedia of American Government
Call number: JK 9 .E52 1998, in 4 volumes.
- Essentials of American Government
Call number: JK 274 .M5143 2000
- Survey of Social Science: Government and Politics Series
Call number: JA 61 .S88 1995 REF, in 5 volumes
State and Local Government
- Handbook of State Government Administration
Call number: JK 2443 .H35 2000
- Inside the Carnival: Unmasking Louisiana Politics
Call number: JK 4716 .P37 2004
- Louisiana Governors: Rulers, Rascals, and Reformers
Call number: F 368 .C69 2008
- Louisiana Since the Longs : 1960 to Century’s End
Call number: F 376 .L685 1998
Selected Journals, Magazines, and Newspapers
- The Advocate (Baton Rouge) and other local newspapers
- American History (also available full-text, online, 1994 to date, in several databases, including Academic Search Complete)
- Current History
- The Economist (also available full-text, online 1988 to date in Biography In Context)
- Newsweek (also available full-text, online, various date ranges, in several databases, with Nexis Uni covering 1975 to 2013)
- Time (also available full-text, online, various date ranges, in several databases, with Academic Search Complete covering 1923 to date)
- U. S. News and World Report (also available full-text, online from 2000 to 2005 from Nexis Uni)
- Comparative Federalism: Theory and Practice, 2006, by Michael Burgess.
- Locke, Jefferson and the Justices: Foundations and Failures of the US Government, 2002, by George M. Stephens.
- Only in America? The Politics of the United States in Comparative Perspective, 1998, by Graham K. Wilson.
- A Revolution in Favor of Government: Origins of the U.S. Constitution and the Making of the American State, 2003, by Max M. Edling.
State and Local Government
- American State and Local Politics: Directions for the 21st Century, 1999, by Ronald E. Weber.
- Ex Uno Plura: State Constitutions and their Political Cultures, 2003, by James T. McHugh.
- Public Opinion in State Politics, 2006, by Jeffrey E. Cohen, Ed.
- The Rise of the States: Evolution of American State Government, 2002, by Jon C. Teaford.
Visit our eBook Collections for links to eBook Collection from EBSCOhost and other e-book collections.
|Britannica Online Academic Edition: A full-text encyclopedia with video, maps, & more.|
Please note that when accessing the databases from off-campus, you will be prompted to login.
- USA.gov, the official website of the U. S. government.
- GPO: U. S. Government Printing Office offers online access to Federal Government publications, including the United States Government Manual
- OpenSecrets.org: Center for Responsive Politics, is a non-partisan organization that tracks and reports federal campaign contributions, lobbying efforts, and more.
- Public Citizen, is a non-partisan, non-government organization whose mission is to “serve as the people’s voice in the nation’s capital.”
State and Local Government
- Louisiana.gov, the official state website.
- Public Affairs Research Council of Louisiana, an independent organization concerned with critical issues facing the state.
- Politics section of The Advocate.
- Local Politics, section of nola.com, the online affiliate of the Times-Picayune newspaper.
- Stateline, which “provides daily reporting and analysis on trends in state policy,” and U. S. State Policy, which provides research and analysis of legal and policy issues from all 50 states, are two resources from The PEW Charitable Trusts, a nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy research organization. News and issues are searchable by state, topic, etc. Updated daily.
Resources outside of RPCC Library are beyond our control. We strive to ensure that our links function and that the resources we recommend are reliable and valid sources. Please contact us at email@example.com if you experience any problems accessing our resources or find any dead links. Please mention the link title and the RPCC Library Services webpage where it was found.