- These resources are only a sample of what may be available.
- Search our Catalog and Databases for more!
- Try EBSCO Discovery Service for One-Stop Searching! Searches our catalog and most of our databases.
- To get started, try Research and Study Help. Find help for researching and writing your papers, and documenting and citing your sources!
- Visit How to Access Library Resources and How to Use Library Resources for more help.
Where to Look? Browse these call numbers:
- G – Geography. Anthropology. recreation.
- G 1 to G 922 – Geography (General).
- G 1000 to G 3122 – Atlases.
- G 3180 to G 9980 – Maps.
- GB 3 to G B5030 – Physical geography.
- GF 1 to GF 900 – Human ecology. Anthropogeography (Human geography).
- GF 125 – Cities. Urban geography.
- GF 127 – Rural settlements. Rural geography.
Selected Books in the Library
General Reference and Atlases
- Merriam Webster’s Geographical Dictionary, 3rd Edition 1997.
Call number: G 103.5 .W42 1997, 2 copies; Reference copy on Dictionary Stand and copy 2 in stacks.
- The National Geographic Desk Reference, 1999.
Call number: G 123 .N38 1999 REF
- Oxford Desk Dictionary of People and Places, 1999.
Call number: G 103.5 .O92 1999 REF
- Oxford Satellite Atlas of the World, 2005.
Call number: G 1046 .A43 2005 REF, Atlas Stand.
- The World Book Atlas, 2008.
Call number: G 1021 .W67 2008 REF, Atlas Stand.
- World Geographical Encyclopedia, 1995.
Call number: G 63 .E5213 1995, in 5 volumes.
- The Anthropology of Space and Place: Locating Culture, 2003.
Call number: GF 50 .A55 2003
- The Dictionary of Human Geography, 4th Edition, 2000.
Call number: GF 4 .D52 2000
- A Geography of Heritage: Power, Culture and Economy, 2000.
Call number: GF 50 .G73 2000
- The Dictionary of Physical Geography, 3rd Edition, 2000.
Call number: GB 10 .D53 2000 REF
- Environmental Systems: An Introductory Text, 2nd Edition, 1992.
Call number: GB 54.5 .W48 1992
- Physical Geography and Global Environmental Change, 1998.
Call number: GB 54.5 .S53 1998
- Geography Basics, 2004, by Ray Sumner.
- The Houghton Mifflin Dictionary of Geography : Places and Peoples of the World, 1997.
- Rediscovering Geography: New Relevance for Science and Society, 1997.
- A Companion to Cultural Geography, 2004, by James S. Duncan, et al.
- Cultural Geography: A Critical Dictionary of Key Concepts, 2005, by David Atkinson.
- Culture and Space: Conceiving a New Cultural Geography, 2005, by Joël Bonnemaison, et al.
- Studying Cultural Landscapes, 2003, by Iain Robertson and Penny Richards.
- Contemporary Meanings in Physical Geography: From What to Why? 2003, by Stephen T. Trudgill & André Roy.
- Physical Geography: A Self-Teaching Guide, 2003, by Michael Craghan.
- Physical Geography: The Basics, 2011, by Joseph Holden.
Visit our eBook Collections for links to eBook Collection from EBSCOhost and other e-book collections.
|Britannica Online Academic Edition: A full-text encyclopedia with video, maps, and more.|
|Global Road Warrior: Resources on world cultures, statistics, travel, maps and images.|
Please note that when accessing the databases from off-campus, you will be prompted to login.
General Reference and Maps
- CIA World Factbook, “provides information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 266 world entities.” The site includes various maps, flags, and more. Regularly and frequently updated (about every two weeks).
- Country Studies, from the Federal Research Division, Library of Congress, offers historical, social, political, economic information on countries around the world.
- National Geographic, offers numerous resources including maps, articles, interactive media and more.
- USGS, the United States Geological Survey, provides numerous geographical and geophysical resources in various formats, including downloadable or printable maps and images, and more.
- Louisiana Digital Library, Includes digital collections from numerous Louisiana institutions like the Louisiana State Archives, LSU, Southern, Tulane, etc. See also the LDL Map Collections.
- Historical Resources, from the office of the Louisiana Secretary of State, this provides information on the Louisiana State Archives, museums, and more.
- Folklife in Louisiana offers maps, bibliographies and other resources on Louisiana’s varied cultural groups.
- Smithsonian: Cultural Centers offers information and resources on cultures around America and the world.
- The Physical Environment: An Introduction to Physical Geography, is an online textbook that includes links to audio and video content.
Resources outside of RPCC Library are beyond our control. We strive to ensure that our links function and that the resources we recommend are reliable and valid sources. Please contact us at email@example.com if you experience any problems accessing our resources or find any dead links. Please mention the link title and the RPCC Library Services webpage where it was found.