- Search our Catalog and Databases for more!
- Try EBSCO Discovery Service for One-Stop Searching! Searches our catalog and most of our databases.
- To get started, try Research and Study Help. Find help for researching and writing your papers, and documenting and citing your sources!
- Visit How to Access Library Resources and How to Use Library Resources for more help.
- N 1 to NX 820 – Fine arts.
- N 1 to N 9211 – Visual arts.
- N 5300 to N 7418 – Visual arts history.
- NA 1 to NA 9428 – Architecture.
- NA 190 to NA 1555.5 – History of architecture.
- NB 1 to NB 1952 – Sculpture
- NB 60 to NB 1115 – History of sculpture.
- NC 1 to NC 1940 – Drawing.
- NC 50 to NC 266 – History of drawing.
- ND 25 to ND 3416 – Painting.
- ND 49 to ND 813 – History of painting.
- NE 1 to NE 3002 – Print media, including engraving and etching.
- NE 400 to NE 773 – History of printmaking
- NE 1030 to NE 1196.3 – History of wood engraving
- NE 1634 to NE 1749 – History of metal engraving.
- NE 1980 to NE 2055.5 – History of etching.
- NK 1 to NK 9990 – Decorative arts, including arts and crafts, ceramics, etc.
- NK 600 to NK 806 – History of decorative arts.
- NX 1 to NX 820 – Arts in general, including special subjects.
- NX 440 to NX 632 – History of the arts
- NX 650 to NX 694 – Special subjects, persons, etc.
- N 1 to N 9211 – Visual arts.
Please note that many art books are large and may be located in the Oversized Section, located to the right as you enter the Library . In addition, we have numerous books on several artists, artistic styles and movements, countries, regions and historical periods, far too many to list here. Just browse the “Ns” to see what we have!
- Anatomy for the Artist, 2000.
Call number: NC 760 .B33 1999 OVERSIZED.
- The Art Book, 1994.
Call number: N 33 .A575 1994 OVERSIZED, an alphabetical guide to 500 artists throughout history; includes one work per artist with brief information.
- The Artist’s Handbook of Materials and Techniques, 5th Edition, revised and updated, 1991.
Call number: ND 1500 .M3 1991.
- Encyclopedia of Artists, 2000.
Call number: N 31 .E53 2000 REF, in 6 volumes; covers 222 artists.
- Gardner’s Art through the Ages, 11th Edition, 2001.
Call number: N 5300 .G25 2001 OVERSIZED.
- Great Events from History II: Arts and Culture Series, 1993; chronicles significant artistic/cultural events from 1897 to 1992.
Call number: NX 456 .G72 1993 REF, in 5 volumes.
- The Yale Dictionary of Art and Artists, 2000.
Call number: N 33 .L353 2000 REF.
- Art and Antiques
- Art in America
- Art and Its Significance: An Anthology of Aesthetic Theory, 3rd edition, 1994, by Stephen David Ross, Ed.
- Art History: The Basics, 2008, by Grant Pooke and Diana Newall.
- Art History: The Key Concepts, 2006, by Jonathan Harris.
- The Hutchinson Dictionary of Symbols in Art, 2005.
- North American Women Artists of the Twentieth Century: A Biographical Dictionary, 1995, Jules Heller and Nancy Heller, Eds.
Visit our eBook Collections for links to eBook Collection from EBSCOhost and other e-book collections.
Please note that when accessing the databases from off-campus, you will be prompted to login.
Local Art Museums and Centers
- Alexandria Museum of Art
- CAC: Contemporary Arts Center, New Orleans.
- LASM: Louisiana Art and Science Museum, Baton Rouge.
- Louisiana State Museum, is a network of nine museums in historic buildings around the state, many designated as National Historic Landmarks located in Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Natchitoches, Patterson, and Thibodaux. Some locations may include virtual tours or limited digital collections. See also:
- LSU Museum of Art, in the Shaw Center, downtown Baton Rouge.
- Newcomb Art Gallery, at Tulane University, New Orleans.
- NOMA: New Orleans Museum of Art, in City Park. College student admission, $8 with valid school ID; free admission on Wednesdays! The Sculpture Garden is ALWAYS free!
- The Ogden Museum of Southern Art, New Orleans.
- Paul and Lulu Hilliard University Art Museum, ULL, Lafayette.
National Art Galleries and Centers
(Check these sites for online or virtual exhibits and other resources!)
- The Getty, of the J. Paul Getty Trust, offers free access to digital resources in its collection that are either in the public domain or the rights to which are held by the Getty. Find images and videos under Museum: Collection and e-books under Publications: Virtual Library. Note that not all images are available, and not all e-books are free to read online or download; see more in its Open Content program.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art offers video and exhibit images; also try the Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History for maps, timelines, works of art, and more.
- National Gallery of Art, includes video and audio podcasts, images and other features.
- National Museum of Women in the Arts; click “explore” to see information on exhibitions, collection highlights, and artist profiles of women artists.
- Smithsonian American Art Museum includes online exhibits and multimedia resources.
Resources available in our collection on the following featured artists:
- M. C. Escher:
- The Magic of M.C. Escher, call no. N 6953 .E82 A4 2000 Oversized
- The Graphic Work, call no. NE 670 .E75 A4 1992
- The Fantastic World of M.C. Escher (video), call no. NE 670 .E75 F36 1994
- Metamorphose: M.C. Escher, 1898-1972 (video), call no. NE 670 .E75 M47 1999X
- Frida Kahlo:
- Frida (video), call no. ND 259 .K33 F74 2003
- The Life and Times of Frida Kahlo (video), call no. ND 259 .K33 L54 2004
- Devouring Frida: The Art History and Popular Celebrity of Frida Kahlo (e-book; login required for off-campus access)
- Frida Kahlo: An Open Life (e-book; login required for off-campus access)
- Gustav Klimt:
- Gustav Klimt, 1862-1918, call no. N 6811.5 .K55 N48 2000
- Klimt: Life and Work, call no. N 6811.5 .K55 P3713 1999
- Klimt (video), call no. N 6811.55 .K55 2008
- Art in Vienna, 1898-1918: Klimt, Kokoschka, Schiele and Their Contemporaries, call no. NX 600 .W53 V47 1993
- Edvard Munch:
- Munch, call no. N 7073 .M8 A4 1992
- A View from the North: Edvard Munch in Germany (video), call no. N 7073 .M8 V54 1998
- Munch, The Scream, call no. ND 773 .M8 A77 2000
- Edvard Munch: The Frieze of Life (video), call no. ND 773 .M8 E38 1992
- Georgia O’Keeffe:
- O’Keeffe on Paper, call no. N 6537 .O39 A4 2000
- Georgia O’Keeffe, call no. ND 237 .O5 M66 1993 Oversized
- Blossoms and Bones: On the Life and Work of Georgia O’Keeffe (e-book; login required for off-campus access)
- Miss O’Keeffe (e-book; login required for off-campus access)
Resources outside of RPCC Library are beyond our control. We strive to ensure that our links function and that the resources we recommend are reliable and valid sources. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you experience any problems accessing our resources or find any dead links. Please mention the link title and the RPCC Library Services webpage where it was found.