- Creating an Effective Résumé (Coming Soon)
- Writing a Job Application Cover Letter (Coming Soon)
- LearningExpress PrepSTEP offers Job Search and Workplace Skills, and Jobs and Careers, which include courses, e-books, practice tests, and more, to help you prepare for the job hunt. Practice tests for specific professional certification tests are also available, ranging from air traffic controller, CDL preparation, EMT and paramedic exams, Praxis test practice, and more! Individual account required; see How to Access Resources for more information.
eBook Collection on EBSCOhost is our largest provider of ebooks (electronic copies of printed books), available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. eBook Collection on EBSCOhost has an easy-to-use search interface. You will need only your Library User ID to login from off-campus. Please see How to Use RPCC Library Resources, EBSCOhost eBook Collection for more information.
Résumés and Cover Letters
- Cover Letter Magic: Trade Secrets of Professional Résumé Writers, 3rd Edition, 2007, by Wendy Enelow.
- The Quick Résumé and Cover Letter Book: Write and Use an Effective Résumé in Only One Day, 5th Edition, 2011, by J. Michael Farr.
- Résumés for Re-Entering the Job Market, 3rd Edition, 2008.
- Résumé Magic: Trade Secrets of a Professional Résumé Writer, 3rd Edition, 2007, by Susan Britton Whitcomb.
Career Advice and Guidance
- The Career Coward’s Guide to Interviewing: Sensible Strategies for Overcoming Job Search Fears, 2007, by Katy Piotrowski.
- Cracking the New Job Market: The 7 Rules for Getting Hired in Any Economy, 2012, By R. William Holland.
- Job Search Magic: Insider Secrets from America’s Career and Life Coach, 2006, by Susan Britton Whitcomb.
- The Job Search Solution: the Ultimate System for Finding a Great Job Now! 2006, by Tony Beshara.
- Top 100 Careers for College Graduates: Your Complete Guidebook to Major Jobs in Many Fields, 7th Edition, 2007, by Michael J. Farr.
Browse our Online Catalog for books covering topics from general advice to finding jobs in specific fields, like education, law enforcement, government and military, finding a career based on personality types, and more.
Résumés and Cover Letters
- Best Résumés for College Students and New Grads, 2nd edition. Call number: HF 5383 .K867 2006
- The Career Change Résumé. Call number: HF 5383 .I78 2003
- Electronic Résumés and Online Networking, 2nd Edition. Call number: HF 5383 .S634 2000
- Gallery of Best Résumés, 2nd Edition. Call number: HF 5383 .N62 2000
- Successful Résumés Made E-Z, 2nd Edition, Expanded and Updated. Call number: HF 5383 .N53 2002
- Same-Day Résumé: Write an Effective Résumé in an Hour. Call number: HF 5383 .F322 2004
- 15-Minute Cover Letter: Write an Effective Cover Letter Right Now. Call number: HF 5383 .F315 2005
- Dynamic Cover Letters for New Graduates. Call number: HF 5383 .H278 1998
- National Business Employment Weekly Cover Letters, 3rd Edition. Call number: HF 5383 .B434 1999
- The Quick Résumé and Cover Letter Book, 3rd edition. Call number: HF 5383 .F32 2005
Career Advice & Guidance
- 200 Best Jobs for College Graduates, 3rd Edition, 2006. Call number: HF 5381 .F4563 2006
- The Big Book of Jobs, 2005-2006 Edition. Call number: HF 5382.5 .U5 B54 2005
- Careers for Night Owls & Other Insomniacs, 2nd Edition, 2003. Call number: HF 5382 .M52 2003.
For other similar books, search the Catalog for “Careers for You” as a series; we have numerous titles in print, e-books, or both!
- Great Jobs for Sociology Majors, 2nd Edition, 2003. Call number: HM 585 .L24 2003.
For other similar books, search the Catalog for “Great Jobs for” as a series; we have numerous titles in print, e-books, or both!
- New Guide for Occupational Exploration, Linking Interest, Learning, and Careers, 4th Edition. Call number: HF 5382.5 .U5 F37 2006
- Opportunities in Overseas Careers, 2005. Call number: HF 5549.5 .E45 C32 2005.
For other similar books, search the Catalog for “Opportunities” as a series; we have numerous titles in print, e-books, or both!
- What’s Your Type of Career? Unlock the Secrets of Your Personality to Find Your Perfect Career Path, 2001. Call number: HF 5381 .D88 2001, 3 copies available.
- Why Should I Hire You? Turn Interview Questions into Job Offers, 2nd Edition. Call number: HF 5383 .F377 1999.
Many of these sites include career advice, tips on applying for jobs and interviewing, in addition to any job listings that they may include. Some also offer résumé posting for job seekers making them available to potential employers.
- CareerOneStop,a national website with links aimed at businesses, job seekers, students and professionals, sponsored by the U. S. Department of Labor. The following sites are just a few of the resources available from CareerOneStop:
- America’s Career InfoNet provides job seekers with career information and business and economic developers access to labor market information, business services, and skills competency information.
- America’s Service Locator provides tools to find employment and training services.
- Worker ReEmployment offers information on employment, training, and other help after a layoff.
- Veterans ReEmployment for information on military-to-civilian job transition.
- Louisiana.gov: Jobs: Search for state and private-sector employment and other resources.
- Louisiana Workforce Commission works to connect businesses & jobs with people.
- Post your resume on the Louisiana Job Connection!
- Occupational Outlook Handbook. Provides career-related information,such as training and education needed for various jobs, job search tips, job market information for each state, and more.
- O*NET OnLine: Occupational Information Network. “Making occupational information interactive and accessible for all.”
- Quintessential Careers. This site has been running for 10 years, a “leader in career and job search advice.”
- True Careers, offers various search options, résumé posting, and other resources.
- USAJOBS, the official job site of the United States Federal Government.